WHY RENT FROM US?
Playa Bike Repair is a Burning Man Service Camp
Over 4,000 people seek us out each year at Burning Man, where we provide free, on-site, emergency bike repair. Your rental helps fund this essential service.
You get a comfortable, dependable bike, and a several options for pick up, and/or even delivery (explained below). The bikes sport an adjustable seat, front basket, and headlight.
Our bikes are built to withstand the most rigorous conditions; have sealed bearings and solid tires; and are meticulously maintained by professional mechanics.
We acquired our fleet from a former bike-share company. The bikes, nearly new, are stored locally; transported efficiently; and will last 5-10 years.
In contrast, "Department store" bikes are inferior, poorly assembled and break often; thousands are “discarded” during the event, or abandoned afterward. In 2017, over 5,000 bikes were left on the playa; an environmental disaster.
In the off-season, we hire Burners to maintain our fleet, benefitting both our community and the local economy. In contrast, “Box stores” extract wealth.
In 2022, we’ll be focused on our "Direct to Camp,” program aka “D2C.”
Theme Camps / Groups / Trailer / 10-35 Bikes
- Direct your campmates to our website, where individuals can reserve a bike.
- PBR will aggregate your camps "individual orders," into a single "camp" order.
- PBR will pre-load all your bikes onto a 17' trailer.
- Claim your trailer (and bikes) at our depot, in Reno.
- Self-tow the trailer to BRC, using camp RV, SUV, Truck, or Van.
- After BM, return the trailer (and bikes) to our depot, in Reno.
- The trailer is free to use during Burning Man.
• 35 bikes: Full trailer. Although we have larger trailers, up to 300 bikes!
• 10-34 bikes: We may aggregate your load with another camp near you.
• 10 bikes: Minimum to be considered for a trailer (less than 10, it's too onerous).
Reno warehouse hours for Trailers
• Claim: Aug 21-26, 10 am to 7 pm (or by appointment).
• Return September 4-7, 10 am to 7 pm (or by appointment).
Individuals / Friends / Family (1-9 bikes)
- Reserve your bike online, now! Invite your friends to do the same.
- If your group reaches the minimum size (10), we may offer you space on a trailer.
- If you don't reach the minimum (1-9), you must claim your bike(s) at our depot in Reno.
- We cannot deliver your bike to you on playa, nor can you claim it in our camp. This is a change from previous years.
- If you claim your bike in Reno, you must return it in Reno, or lose your deposit.
Reno warehouse Hours for Individuals / Friends / Family
Claim: Aug 21-28, 10 am to 7 pm (or by appointment).
Return: September 1-7, 10 am to 7 pm (or by appointment)
We don't provide bike racks, rope, or tie downs (for 1-9 bikes).
What is the $200 refundable deposit?
The refundable deposit is $200 per bike. It is automatically added to your order, during check out. Return your rental bike, and we'll refund your $200.
Are locks included?
Locks are automatically added to your order, at check out. The lock is $10.00, and it's yours to keep.
What if the bike is stolen?
If you lock the bike it will not be stolen. But if your (unlocked) bike is stolen, you owe us the rental fee, and forfeit your deposit.
What's the difference between Tiers?
The bikes are the same, but the earlier you register the less you pay.
What kinds of bikes do you rent?
Our bikes are comfortable, easy to ride, upright, 3-speeds. We acquired them from a former bike-share company.
What sizes do you have?
One size, with an adjustable seat, for riders from 5' to 6' (150 cm to 188 cm).
Do you have baskets?
All our bikes have a front basket.
Are lights included?
Our bikes come with a front light, but it gets power from the front wheel and only works at speed (not walking your bike thru camp, etc). We recommend you bring your own lights (front and rear), or purchase them via our website.
Is there tax?
There is a 8.265% NV State Sales Tax, on lights and locks.
Your support funds Playa Bike Repair! Thank you!