Playa Bike Repair is a Burning Man Service Camp
Over 4,000 people seek us out each year at Burning Man, where we provide free, on-site, emergency bike repair. Your rental helps fund this essential service.
You get a comfortable, dependable bike, and a several options for pick up, and/or even delivery (explained below). The bikes sport an adjustable seat, front basket, and headlight.
Our bikes are built to withstand the most rigorous conditions; have sealed bearings and solid tires; and are meticulously maintained by professional mechanics.
We acquired our fleet from a former bike-share company. The bikes, nearly new, are stored locally; transported efficiently; and will last 5-10 years.
In contrast, "Department store" bikes are inferior, poorly assembled and break often; thousands are “discarded” during the event, or abandoned afterward. In 2017, over 5,000 bikes were left on the playa; an environmental disaster.
In the off-season, we hire Burners to maintain our fleet, benefitting both our community and the local economy. In contrast, “Box stores” extract wealth.
The cost to buy, transport, clean, maintain, and/or store a bike can add up; renting is often cheaper.
In 2023, we’ll be focused on our "Direct to Camp,” program aka “D2C.”
Theme Camps / Trailer / 10-35 Bikes
- We provide each camp with a unique code.
- Give the code to your campmates, and direct them to our website.
- PBR will aggregate your campmate's orders into a single order (using your code).
- PBR will pre-load all your bikes onto a 17' flat bed trailer.
- Claim your trailer (and bikes) at our depot, in Reno.
- Self-tow the trailer to BRC, using camp RV, SUV, Truck, or Van.
- After BM, return the trailer (and bikes) to our depot, in Reno.
- The trailer is free to use during Burning Man.
• 35 bikes: Full trailer. Although we have larger trailers, up to 300 bikes!
• 10-34 bikes: We may aggregate your load with another camp.
• 10 bikes: Minimum to be considered for a trailer (less than 10, it's too onerous).
• Most of our trailers are Carson 17' flat beds, tandem axle w/ electric brakes. They require a 2" ball, 7-pin connector, and weigh 3500 lbs loaded with 35 bikes.
Towing vehicles / options
• Most camps already have a suitable tow vehicle (but you have to ask!)
• Rent a truck, from Enterprise Truck Rental (preferred), or U-Haul
• Hire a trucker, via Burning Man's OSS program
• Questions about our trailers, towing, or trucking? Just ask!
Individuals / Friends / Family (1-9 bikes)
- Reserve your bike online, now! Invite your friends to do the same.
- If your group reaches the minimum size (10), we may offer you space on a trailer.
- If you don't reach the minimum (1-9), you must claim your bike(s) at our depot in Reno.
- PBR cannot deliver your bike to you on playa. This is a change from previous years.
- If you claim your bike in Reno, you must return it in Reno, or lose your deposit.
Reno Warehouse Hours
Sun, Aug 20 to Sun Aug 27: 10 am to 8 pm
Mon, Aug 28 to Fri Sept 1: 10 am to 5:00 pm
Sat, Sept 2 to Wed Sept 6: 10 am to 8 pm
Note: We don't provide bike racks, rope, or tie downs (for 1-9 bikes).
To rent a bike for the entire event:
Where do I pick up and drop off my bike?
This year all bike pick ups and drop offs are done OFF SITE at our Reno warehouse.
What is the $200 refundable deposit?
The refundable deposit is $200 per bike. It is automatically added to your order, during check out. Return your rental bike, and we'll refund your $200.
Are locks included?
Locks are automatically added to your order, at check out. The lock is $10.00, and it's yours to keep.
What if the bike is stolen?
If you lock the bike it will not be stolen. But if your (unlocked) bike is stolen, you owe us the rental fee, and forfeit your deposit.
What's the difference between Tiers?
The bikes are the same, but the earlier you register the less you pay.
What kinds of bikes do you rent?
Our bikes are comfortable, easy to ride, upright, 3-speeds. We acquired them from a former bike-share company.
What sizes do you have?
One size, with an adjustable seat, for riders from 5' to 6' (150 cm to 188 cm).
Do you have baskets?
All our bikes have a front basket.
Are lights included?
Our bikes come with a front light, but it gets power from the front wheel and only works at speed (not walking your bike thru camp, etc). We recommend you bring your own lights (front and rear), or purchase them via our website.
Is there tax?
There is a 8.265% NV State Sales Tax, on lights and locks.
Your support funds Playa Bike Repair! Thank you!
Sign up up for news, discounts and deals